A secret settlement involving Prince Andrew’s sexual assault accuser will be viewed by his lawyers following a judge’s ruling.
Virginia Giuffre’s lawyers will had over the legal release signed in 2009 after her settlement with sex trafficker billionaire Jeffrey Epstein.
US District Judge Loretta Preska approved Prince Andrew’s request for the document to be unsealed.
The agreement is said by Ms Giuffre’s lawyers not to apply to the royal, but instead stops lawyers, employees, agents and heirs connected with the Epstein case from liability.
Andrew’s lawyers reportedly hope that it will waive Ms Guiffre’s right to pursue legal action against the royal.
Representatives for the 38-year-old, who accuses Andrew of forcing her to have sex with her at Epstein’s associate Ghislaine Maxwell’s home while she was underage, have branded it “irrelevant”.
The prince has not been charged with crimes, and has “categorically” denied Giuffre’s claims against him.
Andrew Brettler, a lawyer for the prince, said in an email he expects to receive the agreement soon from Giuffre’s lawyers.
At a hearing last month, Brettler told the judge overseeing Giuffre’s lawsuit that he believed the agreement “absolves our client from any and all liability.”
The ongoing legal battle currently playing out in New York had been mired in arguments over whether the royal had been properly served with Ms Giuffre’s lawsuit.
The prince and his accuser have since agreed that service was effective as of September 21, according to a joint filing with the US District Court in Manhattan.
Subject to court approval, Andrew has until October 29 to formally respond to her lawsuit.
The agreement ended a monthlong effort by Andrew’s legal team to block Ms Giuffre’s lawsuit at the outset, rather than have the 61-year-old prince defend against it.
I t was reported last week that the Queen is funding Andrew’s legal fight against sex abuse allegations.
Her Majesty is said to be stumping up private funds potentially stretching into the millions of pounds to help her son as he navigates the American courts.
At the beginning of last year the 95-year-old head of state agreed to pay for Andrew’s defence fund, The Telegraph reports.
The decision would have come shortly after the Duke’s disastrous Newsnight interview, in which he denied having sex with Ms Giuffre, claiming he was in Pizza Express at the time of the alleged encounter.
Last week Andrew added Melissa Lerner to his legal team, the latest Lavley Singer lawyer to come on board after Andrew Brettler.
The Los-Angeles law firm is known for representing celebrities.
Brettler is reportedly charging $2,000 (£1,500) an hour as Andrew’s lead counsel.
The funds will be sourced from her annual income from the Duchy of Lancaster estate, The Telegraph reports.
This recently increased by £1.5million to £23million.
The case could take months or years to resolve, and any settlement could well stretch into the millions of pounds.