Prince Andrew is said to be “keen to re-marry Sarah Ferguson,” sources claim.
Despite the couple officially divorcing in 1996, the Duke and Duchess of York have always maintained a close bond and have even lived together in Royal Lodge in Windsor.
Sources said that “if he is able to move on with life after allegations of sexual abuse” he would be keen to re-marry his ex-wife.
Sources have told Vanity Fair Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson are “closer than ever before” and “still love each other a great deal and have been living together during the pandemic.”
They added: “It has rekindled something and I can see a second wedding happening if it all goes Andrew’s way.”
Another insider said Sarah’s main priority was “supporting Andrew during the difficult time” and that the former couple are “trying to keep a low profile.”
The claims come just a week after Sarah told Polstat News that “divorce is one thing, but my heart is my oath,” and said her wedding day in 1986 was one of the best of her life.
She added that she “made a commitment [on that day] that she will always follow.”
She said: “When you make that commitment, you decide to marry a prince – and I fell in love with him. He was a sailor, he still is. He was a helicopter pilot and was also a prince.
“I kept my commitment, no matter what. People said, ‘You got divorced’ – they don’t know how I feel. Divorce is one thing, but my heart is my oath, my obligation.”
Reports the pair could reunite come just a day after one of Prince Andrew’s lawyers branded the lawsuit accusing him of the rape of Virginia Guiffre “potentially unlawful” as he clashed in a pre-court hearing.
Andrew Brettler challenged the legal team representing Giuffre, who claims she was coerced into having sex with the Duke when she was 17.
The lawyer denied claims that his client had been serviced with court papers, even though her lawyers claimed to have served them.
The legal counsel who represent her claim in the document that the civil lawsuit was handed to a Metropolitan Police officer who was on duty at the main gates at the Royal Lodge on August 27.
PETER JOLLY NORTHPIX)
The filing says this is “consistent with the provisions for service upon an individual defendant, under section 6 of the Civil Procedure Rules, as required by the Supreme Court of Judicature in England and Wales.”
Blackfords, who said they represent the duke “in certain UK matters”, raised questions in an email on September 6 about how the papers were served.
In a document, they wrote: “We reiterate that our client reserves all his rights, including to contest the jurisdiction of the US courts (including on the basis of potentially defective service).”
They added Ms Guiffre’s claim may not be viable, citing a 2009 release in a separate court case in Florida.
Representatives for Ms Giuffre, however, stated in a court document that the assertion regarding the 2009 release was an “erroneous suggestion” by Blackfords.
A US judge will ultimately determine whether the papers were properly delivered. Judge Lewis Kaplan of the US District Court for the Southern District of New York will hold the first pretrial conference in the case via teleconference on Monday.
Get all the latest news sent to your inbox. Sign up for the free Mirror newsletter