A mum has told how her son was left unconscious and rushed to hospital after being “sucked under by a filter” in a hot tub.
The woman warned people of the “life threatening” dangers of hot tubs after it took three men to free the boy even after the tub had been switched off.
She posted the horror story on Facebook, recounting how the boy needed CPR, and it has since been shared over 32,000 times with almost 5,000 comments from many people thanking her for the warning.
The mum wrote: “Please read whole story – on Sunday our son was using a hot tub when he was sucked under by a filter outlet within the tub.
“This filter outlet is covered partially but there is a large rectangular hole which takes in the water and sends it to the filter and he was sucked into this outlet and could not escape.”
She said that he was seriously injured despite the family acting quickly.
The mum continued: “Family were in full view and as soon as this occurred they immediately rushed to his assistance and it took three men to release him from the suction despite the tub being turned off straight away.
“When he was pulled out he was unconscious and cpr was started.”
The boy was airlifted to hospital and the women said her son had excellent treatment.
She said: “He received brilliant treatment both on the journey and during his recovery where he was monitored over a period of days.
“Fortunately (he) is now home and on the mend however had he not been rescued from the tub so quickly and the treatment been so good he may not be here today.”
The woman finished with the warning: “If anyone has or are thinking of buying hot tubs, spas or pools please ensure they are safe to use, are checked regularly and children are being watched at all times as stated in the units user manual.
“You do not expect something that is so enjoyable to turn out to be life threatening however this can be the case. Please please be aware and be careful, I do not want this to happen to another family where there might be a worse outcome.”
One person wrote: “Oh my gosh how awful, poor little man. I am so glad he is OK and on the mend.”
There were many similar messages with another commenting: “That’s horrendous. Poor little boy. What a tragedy it could have turned out. So glad to hear that he is now on the mend.”