Website Creative Associates International
Creative Associates International Inc. is a dynamic and fast-growing professional services firm that specializes in international development in the areas of education, democratic transitions and stabilization in post-conflict environments. Based in Washington, DC, the firm has a field presence in 30 countries worldwide with a strong and diverse portfolio that includes global contracts with the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) and other clients including the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Defense. The firm has earned a solid reputation among its clients and missions worldwide and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike
Program Officer – NE Connect Program
The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) has contracted Creative Associates International to implement the Northeast ConNEction activity to strengthen the resilience of communities vulnerable to violent extremist infiltration and conflict. By targeting communities not yet under the control of violent extremist organizations (VEOs), this activity will seize the opportunity to mitigate the grievances that make communities vulnerable to violent extremism, while building social cohesion within and across communities in northeast Nigeria. In addition to helping northeastern Nigerians create a stronger foundation against the violent extremist and conflict threats, the activity is designed to develop local capacity to respond to emerging threats. In order to enable flexible and adaptive management of the activity in a complex environment, the activity includes a focused effort on research and analysis of the threats and coordination around programmatic opportunities and responses.
The Program Officer (PO) is responsible for grass-roots development of project concepts and activity submissions. The Program Officer will interact with community groups, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), community-based organizations (CBOs), associations and other groups implementing NE Connection funded activities or potential activities. The Program Officer will work with groups to develop activity ideas and summaries, refine project concepts during the design phase, assist in the creation and negotiation of budgets, as well as be the primary field oversight for ongoing activities. This position will be based in Mubi, Adamawa State with likely extensive travel to activity sites in the NE region.
REPORTING & SUPERVISION
The Program Officer reports to the Program Manager.
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Liaise with community groups, NGOs, CBOs associations and other community stakeholders to identify potential partners for the project activities.
- Liaise with Nigerian security forces and government officials to gain access to communities and build acceptance for the program’s activities.
- Identify potential activities at the community level for project support.
- Work with Program Manager (PM) and team to develop project ideas identified for support and submit them for approval by senior management.
- Work with community organizations to generate budget and prepare logistics.
- Monitor and report on routine program operational activities and scheduled program events, reporting activity summaries through well-written activity notes to Program Manager.
- Work with staff to ensure project attendance at local events.
- Collect information on program activities, including beneficiary targets.
- Work with Program, M&E and Grants teams to create and maintain project trackers.
- Take photos and videos of activity events to contribute to the program’s communication efforts.
- Support review of Evaluation Reports and grant closing formalities.
- Attend focus groups to derive lessons learned to inform future project activities.
- Assist in the development of activity ideas based on information collected in the field.
- Facilitate linkages between communities as needed.
- Any other duties suitable to task and commensurate with ability.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- University degree in political science, international affairs or other related social sciences field is required.
- Three years of general work experience with at least two years of related experience is required.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills is required.
- Prior experience with international organizations or international-funded projects is highly desirable.
- Problem solving, stress management and time management skills are required.
- Proficient at using Microsoft office software: MS Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, etc.
- Excellent record keeping and documentation skills are required.
- Experience of working in a conflict environment is a plus.
- Written and spoken fluency in English is required.
- Fluency in one or more of the local state languages in Nigeria’s Northeast State of Adamawa is required.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their CV using the position as subject of email.