Grieving Sinead O’Connor hospitalised days after death of 17-year-old son


Sinead O'Connor and son Shane.
Sinead is receiving help after the death of her son (Picture: Redferns / Twitter @OhSineady)

Sinead O’Connor has been admitted to hospital as she continues to grieve for her son Shane following his death aged 17.

Shane took his own life over the weekend after he was reported missing from a hospital in Ireland, with Sinead saying she feels ‘lost’ without her son.

The singer told followers on social media she was headed to hospital and receiving help, while also apologising after worrying fans on Twitter overnight.

The 55-year-old wrote: ‘I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have said that. I am with cops now on way to hospital. I’m sorry I upset everyone.

‘I am lost without my kid and I hate myself. Hospital will help a while…’

Her tweet came after she posted a flurry of messages, claiming she ‘doesn’t deserve to live’ and blaming herself for her son’s death.

Last weekend, Sinead – who changed her name to Shuhada’ Davitt in 2018 – announced Shane’s death on Twitter, writing: ‘My beautiful son, Nevi’im Nesta Ali Shane O’Connor, the very light of my life, decided to end his earthly struggle today and is now with God. May he rest in peace and may no one follow his example. My baby. I love you so much. Please be at peace.’

Sinead O'Connor and son Shane.
Sinead is ‘lost’ without Shane (Picture: Twitter)

In a series of now-deleted tweets, the grieving mother previously railed at health services after she alleged her son left hospital while ‘on suicide watch’, with the Garda Síochána launching an appeal for information as to his whereabouts on January 6.

Both Irish health service HSE and child and family agency Tusla were criticised by the Nothing Compares 2 U chart-topper, with Sinead claiming there was a ‘refusal to take any responsibility’, and that she was ‘yet to receive any contact from Tusla or their representatives’ 26 hours after the death of her son, which she branded ‘unacceptable’.

She also wrote in a later post: ‘May God forgive the Irish State for I never will.’

On January 8, Gardaí confirmed to The Irish Examiner that the search for Shane had been stood down following the discovery of a body in Bray, County Wicklow.

‘An Garda Síochána would like to thank the media and public for their assistance in this matter. No further action is required and no further information is available at this time,’ a spokesperson said.

Sinead later apologised for her previous comments, tweeting on Monday night that she was ‘sorry to have upset’ Tusla and retracting any accusation of his death being the fault of the service.

She wrote: ‘Ok, I’m gonna do the right thing here and apologise for my lashing out. Tusla are working with very limited resources. They loved shane. They are broken hearted. They are human.

‘I am sorry I have upset them.’

‘We are a third world country. It’s not their fault,’ she added.

In a later tweet, the performer continued: ‘The issue is.. we are a third world country. We have 12 beds in special care for suicidal teenagers. And no resources to save those who can’t manage life. 128 icu beds in the whole Country.

‘Tusla did their best. We all did: and I am deeply sorry to have blamed anyone.’

It was reported on Monday by The Irish Times that Shane’s death will be referred to the National Review Panel for investigation.

The NRP was established in 2010 to investigate serious incidents, including deaths of young people and children in care or known to child protection services.

Sinead went on to explain that Shane’s funeral will only be attended by herself and his father, Irish folk musician Donal Lunny, as per ‘the wish Shane expressed in his suicide notes’.

The star had previously extended her condolences to Donal, sharing a heartfelt message to him on Sunday.

Sinead O'Connor

zone post image for post 15913369Hollyoaks star Stephanie Davis 'absolutely gutted' as thief steals son's birthday presents
zone post image for post 15885426Sinead O’Connor shares tribute as teenage son dies
zone post image for post 15898204Sinéad O'Connor apologises for 'lashing out' at Irish child services after son's death

In a tweet, Sinead acknowledged Donal’s efforts in supporting their son, writing: ‘You did your best too, Donal. And Shane adored you. And I will always remember how sweet you have been to him.

‘You have been a lovely father. I am so sorry for your loss.’

She also tweeted: ‘I would like to thank all care staff at Riverside for the love you gave Shane. You did your best at all times. He loves you for it and so do I. Be at peace.’

Shane was Sinead’s only child with Donal but she is also mother to three other children; son Jake, 34, with her first husband John Reynolds, daughter Roisin, 25, with former boyfriend John Waters, and son Yeshua, 15, with Frank Bonadio.

Need support? Contact the Samaritans

For emotional support you can call the Samaritans 24-hour helpline on 116 123, email jo@samaritans.org, visit a Samaritans branch in person or go to the Samaritans website.

Leave a Reply

A note to our visitors

This website has updated its privacy policy in compliance with changes to European Union data protection law, for all members globally. We’ve also updated our Privacy Policy to give you more information about your rights and responsibilities with respect to your privacy and personal information. Please read this to review the updates about which cookies we use and what information we collect on our site. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our updated privacy policy.

%d bloggers like this: