Facebook deletes Buhari’s controversial ‘civil war’ post after Twitter

Facebook joined Twitter in banning

Shortly after announcing Twitter operation in Nigeria, Facebook joined Twitter in banning President Buhari’s civil war controversial message on its platform, saying that it violates its standards and capable if inciting violence.

With this action, President Buhari’s entire message had been removed from facebook following the ban on Twitter on Friday by the federal government.

yesterday, June 4, the Federal Government announced that Twitter has been suspended in Nigeria. This comes days after Twitter deleted the president’s controversial statement and the video where he made the statement.

The banned statement made by Buhari reads: “Many of those misbehaving today are too young to be aware of the destruction and loss of lives that occurred during the Nigerian Civil War. Those of us in the fields for 30 months, who went through the war, will treat them in the language they understand.”

Now, Facebook has followed suit. Facebook said it deleted Buhari’s statement because it violates its standards and is capable of inciting violence.

Unlike Twitter where the specific tweet was deleted while the rest of the thread with President Buhari’s speech was allowed to remain on the platform, Facebook removed President Buhari’s entire message.

Giving reason for deleting the statement, Facebook said:

“In line with our global policies, we have removed a post from President Buhari’s Facebook page for violating our community standards against inciting violence.

“We remove any content from individual or organisation that violates our policies on facebook.”

Leave a Reply